The Carer’s Allowance Digital Service is a simpler, clearer and faster way to make a claim or report a change of circumstances. Over 360,000 carers have now used the service with a satisfaction rate consistently around 90%.
How to access the service Visit: www.gov.uk/apply-carers-allowance
What happens after the claim is submitted?
An online claim is received in DWP as soon as it is submitted. The Carer’s Allowance Unit can start processing the claim and will write to the person being cared for, to let them know a claim by someone caring for them has been made. If an email address has been given, the applicant will receive a confirmation email.
What help is available?
There are help guides to clarify questions and option to check eligibility up front so customers know if it’s right for them. There’s a helpline number where a skilled agent will provide additional support to guide through the claim.
Report a Change of Circumstances
Customers can report a change of circumstances online; for example:
- Start or leave a job
- Stop being a carer
- Take a holiday or go into hospital
- The person cared for goes into hospital or takes a holiday
Some benefits of using the Digital service to make a claim:
- Available 24 hours a day 7 days per week
- Only takes around 20 minutes to complete
- Arrives immediately at the Carer’s Unit once submitted
- Can be used on a mobile phone or tablet device
- Does not require a signature or a password
- Has mandatory questions to ensure the right information is captured
- Opportunity to check the answers before submitting the claim