Social Housing - Housing Association Accommodation

Housing Association Property

Housing Associations offer 'Not for Profit' Social Housing and normally have a variety of housing.  Some of it is specifically designed with people in mind such as those with Physical Disabilities or Older Persons. 

Housing Associations were developed with the aim of making accommodation available and affordable for all.

The obvious advantages to renting from a Housing Association include rent which is usually subsidised to below market value. Additionally you are dealing with a large, registered and audited company rather than an individual Landlord, providing increased peace of mind, with an established complaints procedure to deal with any difficulties.

Neath Port Talbot Housing Stock Transfer

Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council is no longer a Social Landlord and does not own any council houses, flats or sheltered housing accommodation.

On Friday 4th March 2011 Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council officially transferred all of its housing stock to NPT Homes (now Tai Tarian), a new Community Mutual Housing Association that was established to own and manage the Council's transferred stock.

Contacting Tai Tarian by Telephone

Tai Tarian Contact Centre is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday for General Enquiries on:

0300 777 0000

If you are reporting a Repair, please contact the Housing Repair Team on:

0300 777 3000

More information regarding the Services that Tai Tarian offers is available at 

Who can apply for Social Housing?

Generally speaking anyone can apply for Social Housing with a Housing Association who operates within Neath Port Talbot.  However, applicants who apply for housing will be expected to meet specific eligibility criteria and each Housing Association sets their own eligibility criteria.  

As part of the application process, you can expect to be interviewed by a Housing Officer who will undertake an assessment of your housing needs.  Aswell as identifying your choice of area, the type and size of a property you require and any support needs that you may have. 

Allocating a home differs between Housing Associations. Some Housing Associations operate a points based lettings system, some allocate properties by date order (as in the date they receive your housing application) and other Association's allocate properties according to an applicants housing need.

It is important to note that waiting lists for housing are commonplace with most Housing Associations and no applicant can be guaranteed a home.

We would suggest you contacting a Housing Association of your choice, direct, either by telephone or by email, in order to establish whether or not you meet their eligibility criteria and to confirm their housing application process.  Please note that some applicants will be excluded for example due to their immigration status or their previous tenancy behaviour.

Housing Associations in Neath Port Talbot

There are a number of Housing Associations operating within Neath Port Talbot and include;

  • Coastal Housing Group
  • Pobl
  • Linc-Cymru
  • Family Housing Association
  • Tai Tarian
  • Newydd

    Click on the logo of the Housing Association you wish to view below or to the right of this page to link to their Website.

Shared Home Ownership Schemes

Some Housing Associations may also offer Shared Home Ownership Schemes to assist people who want to buy a property but cannot afford to do so independently.  Please click on the following link for more details around Low Cost Home Ownership Schemes and other Affordable Housing Products.

Affordable Housing

What if I am Struggling to Manage my Tenancy?

Support can be provided to help people who are having difficulties with tenancy-related issues. If you are in this situation, you are advised to speak to your Housing Officer, if you are a Housing Association Tenant, and they will be able to assist you accordingly.

Alternatively, you can contact Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's Housing Options Service on 01639 685219 for information advcie and assistance. 

A further option would be to refer to Dewis Cymru - the place for information about well-being in Wales, which lists a wide range of Organisations who support people to maintain an independent living and prevent homelessness, at


Help with your Rent

If you are on a low income, you maybe able to get Housing Benefit to help pay your rent.

For information please contact:
Housing Benefits Team
Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council
Telephone: (01639) 686838 (Neath), or 763454 (Port Talbot)

Council Tax

For Council Tax bands, discounts and exemptions please visit Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's webpages HERE

Or call the Council Tax Section on:

Telephone 01639 686840 (Neath) OR 01639 763152 (Port Talbot)

Delivers information and practical advice about public services including benefits, tax credits, taxes, pensions, managing money and managing debt.  Please click here to view their website.

Winter Fuel Payments

Winter Fuel Payment helps older people keep warm in winter. Find out who can get it, how to get it and how much you can get. If you haven’t received it before, find out what you need to do.  For more information, please click here to visit

Cold Weather Payments

During a very cold winter, the costs of heating can quickly add up. If you're receiving certain benefits, you may be able to get a Cold Weather Payment for each period of very cold weather in your area. For more information, please click here to visit

Furniture and Appliances

Some Private Rented Properties are already furnished, however, for those which require furnishing, Enfys Foundation, Appliance Universe or RESaREC will be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Register Your Electrical Appliances with EEESafe's National Appliance Safety Register

EEESafe based in Swansea have launched the National Appliance Safety Register. The purpose of the Register is to give Consumers a Free Safety Check of their White Goods Appliances in the home to ensure they are not already a part of a Product Recall. A Recall may mean there is a danger of a malfunction or electrical fault that could be the cause of a fire.

EEESafe's National Appliance Safety Register will monitor appliances on Consumers behalf. They can provide reports to the Consumer or Landlord (including Housing Association's) as part of the service. The appliances can be registered online to the address and an appointed code is given to the Consumer or Landlord so they may receive the reports. NPT Homes will shortly be committing to have all its properties covered by the service.

It is hoped that Registrants will donate their old appliances to EEESafe when they are being replaced, and they will GIVE the items to local responsible reapairers registered with EEESafe. You can also help EEESafe by working with their retail partners who supply new appliances as an online purchase. They agree not to take the Old Appliance away from the community so that a local tradesman can have more work, and lower cost appliances are available to help those who cannot afford one. Please click here to purchase via the EEESafe Affiliate Scheme. Groups that purchase Refurbished Appliances are advised to look for the "Approved Refurbished Appliance Labels."

Every new purchase madse from the link will attract a £1 donation into EEESafe's Community Trust fund which aims to prevent waste, create local jobs and regenerate local communities.

For further details and to register you appliance, click here. There is an opportunity for one lucky person tio win a new washing machine courtesy of the Co-op Electrical Group if registered before 25th June 2014.

EEESafe are also on Facebook or click here to follow them on Twitter.


HomeSwapper is for social tenants (in rented property) who want a house swap, flat swap or exchange their council house. This is also called mutual exchange. If you live in a council house or housing association property you can swap.

How does it Work?

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can swap homes with another tenant. This is called a "mutual exchange". Finding a mutual exchange means you will not have to wait for months (even years) on a housing transfer list. And the best bit is that you get to choose the home you want yourself. HomeSwapper is a mutual exchange service. You can use this service to help you find a new home. HomeSwapper has the UK's biggest list of members all wanting to swap homes. This means there are millions of possible swaps waiting for you. A mutual exchange doesn't just mean you have to swap like for like you could:

  • Downsize
  • Upsize
  • Swap across the country...
  • or down the road
  • Swap a flat for a house...
  • A house for a maisonette
  • Get somewhere with a garden
  • Find a property without stairs or adapted for the disabled
  • The choices are endless

Once you have found the property you wish to swap to you must always obtain the written permission from both of your landlords. Your landlords will the complete all the paperwork with you to make your move happen. If you don't have any restrictions on your tenancy agreement and are not in rent arrears your landlord cannot refuse your swap.

For further information, please visit or click on the link to the right of this page.