Older Persons Housing

Sheltered Accommodation

Sheltered Housing is suitable for people over the age of 55 years who would like to live in a more secure environment but still keep their independence.

What is Sheltered Housing?

Sheltered housing is a term covering a wide range of rented housing for Older and/or Disabled or other vulnerable people. Sheltered housing most commonly refers to grouped housing such as a block or a 'scheme' of self contained flats and studio apartments which are linked to an emergency system.  Some schemes also have Scheme Managers on site, who will manage the day to day running of the scheme.

Sheltered housing accommodation is distinct from a nursing home or care home in that the tenants are usually able to look after themselves, relatively independently.

What Facilities are Available at Sheltered Housing Schemes?

Each scheme varies however most schemes will have;

  • Emergency Alarm Call System
  • Laundry Room
  • Residents Lounge
  • Lift
  • Communal Gardens
  • Door Entry System with Security Cameras
  • Car Parking

Some schemes also may have;

  • Guest Bedrooms
  • On-Site Scheme Manager during office hours

Want to Know More?

There are a number of Housing Associations operating within Neath Port Talbot with Sheltered Housing including;

Click on the name of the Housing Association you wish to view or alternatively click on the Associations logo to the right of this page to link to their Website.

What is Extra Care Housing?

'Extra Care' or what is otherwise known as 'Assisted Living Housing' is a relatively new concept and is a type of housing which is designed to cater for elderly frail persons.

Extra Care housing builds on the traditional Sheltered Housing model and aims to promote a better quality of life for elderly persons, enabling them to live as independent a life as possible within the community, whilst at the same time providing them with a degree of support tailored to individual needs.  However, Extra Care housing will not suit all elderly people.

Extra Care housing is designed to make life easier for older people who can no longer cope with entirely independent living.

The properties are purpose built and targeted mainly at individuals with mobility problems, such as wheelchair users and older people looking for assistance with the practicalities of day-to-day living.

Extra Care housing provides easy access accommodation with, for example, kitchens and bathrooms adapted to meet individual needs. Some developments also have care staff on site who can offer unobtrusive assistance for those who prefer a little extra help. Different levels of support are available throughout the various schemes.

What Facilities are Available at Extra Care Housing Schemes?

Facilities are similiar to those listed under Sheltered Housing however may also include (not full list);

  • 24hr care/support on site
  • Communal dining room / Cafe
  • Shops
  • Hairdressing salon
  • Libraries
  • Learning resources such as computers
  • Healthcare services
  • Chiropody and podiatrist services
  • Wheelchair store with electric charging facilities
  • Assisted bathrooms

Want to Know More?

A number of the Housing Associations operating within Neath Port Talbot who provide Sheltered Housing also have Extra Care Housing.

Click on the name of the Housing Association you wish to view above or alternatively click on the Associations logo to the right of this page to link to their Website.

Care and Support Services Directory 2015/16

The Care and Support Services Directory has been produced by Bridgend County Borough Council, Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council and City and County of Swansea in association with Publisher, Care Choices.

The Directory is one way in which your local council provides information to people who want to make arrangements for their own care and support, or to help a relative or friend. Each council has a common point of access for people looking for social care and support, and a website which includes information and links to help people find the services and support they need. To download the Directory, please click HERE

Adapted Housing

If you have health condition or an impairment that makes it difficult for you to live independently, adaptations and various specialist equipment can help improve your movement in and around the home.

There are various types of adaptation from major works such as installing a stair lift and converting bathrooms for ease of access to grab rails, stair rails and ramps.

For more information on Adapted Housing please click here to view the section 'Home Adaptations'.

TeleCare Services

Telecare services are key elements of a new range of services for older and vulnerable people to help them retain their independence and remain in their own homes for longer by management of the risks associated with everyday activities.

Telecare is a remote monitoring service that is tailored to the needs of the individual. It uses sensors and detectors designed to improve safety in the home. The sensors are linked to a call monitoring centre through a Telecare Base Unit connected by a conventional phone socket and power point.

The call centre answers the call alerts and trained operators make contact with the user and give the appropriate response; this could be reassurance, a call to a family member or friend, a community response team or the emergency services.

More information can be found here: www.npt.gov.uk/telecare

Minority Ethnic Elders Advocacy Project (MEEA)

Helping Ethnic Minority Elders to say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and obtain services they need” – these are the ethos of this new project being delivered in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot.

The MEEA project is an all Wales project funded by the Big lottery Fund for 3 years under Advantage Funding, based in various locations including Swansea. During this time Swansea Bay REC’s part of the project aims to carry out: Advocacy on behalf of ‘Ethnic Minority Elders’ (MEE) on a variety of issues.

For further information please visit: www.sbrec.org.uk


For details on the Minority Ethnic Elders 'Advice Cafe' please download the leaflet HERE

What if I am Struggling to Manage my Tenancy?

Support can be provided to help people who are having difficulties with tenancy-related issues. If you are in this situation, you are advised to speak to your Housing Officer, if you are a Housing Association Tenant and they will beable to assist you accordingly.

Alternatively, you can contact Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's Housing Options Service on 01639 685219 or another professional such as your GP, to ask to be referred to the Tenant Support Scheme.  Support and advice regarding a range of issues such as budgeting/debts, benefit claims and mental health/counselling can be provided. 

A further option would be to refer to the Neath Port Talbot Supporting People Supported Housing Directory 2011 which lists a wide range of Organisations who support people to maintain an independent living and prevent homelessness.

Help with your Rent

If you are on a low income, you maybe able to get Housing Benefit to help pay your rent. 

For information please contact:
Housing Benefits Team
Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council
Telephone: (01639) 686838 (Neath) 763454 (Port Talbot)

Council Tax

For Council Tax bands, discounts and exemptions please visit Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's webpages HERE

Or call the Council Tax Section on:

Telephone (01639) 686840 (Neath) OR (01639) 763152 (Port Talbot)


Delivers information and practical advice about public services including benefits, tax credits, taxes, pensions, managing money and managing debt. Please click here to view their website.

Winter Fuel Payments

Winter Fuel Payment helps older people keep warm in winter. Find out who can get it, how to get it and how much you can get. If you haven’t received it before, find out what you need to do.  For more information, please click here to visit Gov.uk

Cold Weather Payments

During a very cold winter, the costs of heating can quickly add up. If you're receiving certain benefits, you may be able to get a Cold Weather Payment for each period of very cold weather in your area. For more information, please click here to visit Gov.uk

Furniture and Appliances

Some Private Rented Properties are already furnished, however, for those which require furnishing, Enfys Foundation, Appliance Universe or RESaREC will be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Register Your Electrical Appliances with EEESafe's National Appliance Safety Register

EEESafe based in Swansea have launched the National Appliance Safety Register. The purpose of the Register is to give Consumers a Free Safety Check of their White Goods Appliances in the home to ensure they are not already a part of a Product Recall. A Recall may mean there is a danger of  a malfunction or electrical fault that could be the cause of a fire.

EEESafe's National Appliance Safety Register will monitor appliances on Consumers behalf. They can provide reports to the Consumer or Landlord (including Housing Association's) as part of the service. The appliances can be registered online to the address and an appointed code is given to the Consumer or Landlord so they may receive the reports. NPT Homes will shortly be committing to have all its properties covered by the service.

It is hoped that Registrants will donate their old appliances to EEESafe when they are being replaced, and they will GIVE the items to local responsible reapairers registered with EEESafe. You can also help EEESafe by working with their retail partners who supply new appliances as an online purchase. They agree not to take the Old Appliance away from the community so that a local tradesman can have more work, and lower cost appliances are available to help those who cannot afford one. Please click here to purchase via the EEESafe Affiliate Scheme. Groups that purchase Refurbished Appliances are advised to look for the "Approved Refurbished Appliance Labels."

Every new purchase madse from the link will attract a £1 donation into EEESafe's Community Trust fund which aims to prevent waste, create local jobs and regenerate local communities.

For further details and to register you appliance, click here. There is an opportunity for one lucky person tio win a new washing machine courtesy of the Co-op Electrical Group if registered before 25th June 2014.

EEESafe are also on Facebook or click here to follow them on Twitter. 




HomeSwapper is for social tenants (in rented property) who want a house swap, flat swap or exchange their council house. This is also called mutual exchange. If you live in a council house or housing association property you can swap.

How does it Work?

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can swap homes with another tenant. This is called a "mutual exchange". Finding a mutual exchange means you will not have to wait for months (even years) on a housing transfer list. And the best bit is that you get to choose the home you want yourself. HomeSwapper is a mutual exchange service. You can use this service to help you find a new home. HomeSwapper has the UK's biggest list of members all wanting to swap homes. This means there are millions of possible swaps waiting for you. A mutual exchange doesn't just mean you have to swap like for like you could:

  • Downsize
  • Upsize
  • Swap across the country...
  • or down the road
  • Swap a flat for a house...
  • A house for a maisonette
  • Get somewhere with a garden
  • Find a property without stairs or adapted for the disabled
  • The choices are endless

Once you have found the property you wish to swap to you must always obtain the written permission from both of your landlords. Your landlords will the complete all the paperwork with you to make your move happen. If you don't have any restrictions on your tenancy agreement and are not in rent arrears your landlord cannot refuse your swap.

For further information, please visit www.homeswapper.co.uk or click on the link to the right of this page.