Pest Control & Noise Management

Pest Control

The control of both insect and rodent pests is essential to the provision and maintenance of a safe environment for people to live, work and pursue leisure activities in.

Pests can pose a threat to public health due to them having the potential to spread a number of significant infections which may cause disease.

Rodents in particular can cause structural damage to property and cause the potential for property fires due to the gnawing of electrical wiring. Food and medical products can be rendered unsaleable and have to be destoyed if contaminated by insects and rodents.

Bird fouling can also have a detrimental effect on an area with the soiling of buildings and garden areas.  Pavements can become hazardous when significant fouling is present.

If You Are Troubled by Pests

Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council has a dedicated team of Pest Control Officers who offer a range of competitive Pest Control Services including;

  • A FREE Pest Control Service for rats and mice in domestic properties
  • A Control Service for other insect pests in domestic properties
  • Pest Control Contract Services for Businesses
  • A Sewer Baiting Programme for rats in conjunction with Welsh Water
  • A FREE Advice Service and a range of leaflets on a variety of pests

If You Want To Know More

For further information on the Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's 'Pest Control Services' provided and for advice on insect and rodent species please click here: Pest Control Team

Or contact the Environmental Health Services on: 01639 685678

Noise Nuisance

Noise (defined as generally unwanted sound) is an unavoidable part of everyday life.  Whilst we must accept a certain degree of noise in our daily lives, there are some types of noise that are unwelcome.  A certain level of noise which may be acceptable during the daytime may be considered to be a statutory noise nuisance during the late evening or night-time hours.  In some extreme cases, noise may also have a damaging effect on health.

Don't suffer in silence!

You should always consider in the first instance, talking politely to your neighbour and raising the issue with them.  You may find this difficult and confrontational but often people are unaware that they are causing a problem.  If you dont feel that you can talk directly to your neighbour you might wish to put a note through their door or even a letter in the post, politely worded, just to raise their awareness of the problem.  If the noise continues, you could start a noise diary to keep a record of the occurences.

If the problem persists and you wish to complain formally, you could make your complaint to Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council's Environmental Health Services or if you're a Housing Association Tenant, you will need to contact your Housing Management Service, who will investigate your complaint.

Under the 'Environmental Protection Act 1990', our Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) have a duty to take enforcement action where they consider any noise to be a statutory nuisance. 

Role of an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) in Investigating your Complaint

The EHO will require in the first instance that you keep a diary of noise occurrences over a 2 week period and will then upon return of the completed log, write to your neighbour requesting that they take any action they are able to try and prevent a statutory noise nuisance.  Where we have witnessed the presence of a statutory noise nuisance, and an informal approach has failed to resolve the problem, then we are able to take formal action resulting in the service of an abatement notice.  It is an OFFENCE if someone does not comply with the requirements of the notice.

In circumstances where Officers are unable, after a full investigation, to identify the presence of any noise nuisance, the Act allows for Complainants to pursue their own statutory nuisance action in the Magistrates Court.

If you are Troubled by Noise Nuisance

For further information on services provided by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council in relation to noise control and for advice please click here: Noise Nuisance

Or if you wish to complain about a noise related matter you can contact Environmental Health Services on 01639 685678